With over 40 languages spoken at our school, at Stepney Greencoat we believe that one thing every culture has in common is music. Music is a world-wide language that allows expression, creativity, celebration, a means of escape, praising and worshiping God, reflection, and storytelling.
Our aim is that by the time our pupils leave our school, they will have developed the key skills needed to continually progress and develop their musicianship in singing, listening, composing, learning an instrument, improvising, and performing.
At Stepney Greencoat, we also work collaboratively with THAMES (Tower Hamlets Advisory Music and Education Service) music group to offer pupils the opportunity to receive discrete music lessons. This currently includes lessons in African drumming, the recorder and brass instruments.
In 2021, we were awarded the Music Mark Certificate in recognition of high-quality music education for all children and young people.
Across the years, pupils at Stepney Greencoat will:
- Listen to, perform, review, and evaluate music
- Sing and use their voices independently and with others
- Have an opportunity to learn a musical instrument and move to the next level of musical excellence
- Understand and explore how music is created, produced, and communicated, including inter-related dimensions: pitch, duration, dynamics, tempo, timbre, texture, structure and appropriate musical notations.
- Learn about the great work of great composers and musicians which we do through the following genres; Classical, Motown, Traditional, Popular, Musicals, Soft rock, Soul/ R&B and Funk/ Blues
Music – “Learning Together for Life”
Our pupils will have the opportunity to learn through music and about music, starting with movement, feelings, and rhythm in Reception to theory, notation, improvisation, and composition in Year 6. Our pupils will engage in the history of songs and musicians - understanding the story behind the songs that we sing and the message that can be brought to the world through music.
We are made up of incredibly unique individuals, with incredibly unique skill sets and we celebrate our differences, by partnering with our musical experts to deliver and bring our pupils a taste of music from different cultures and periods of time. Joining in concerts with our local schools, provides our pupils with a sense of belonging and community.
Through music, we aim to provide our children with rich experiences in life through with opportunities such as live performances, visits, and workshops by the London Symphony Orchestra and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.